6 Tips to Writing an Attention-Grabbing Press Release
February 28, 2023 | Category: Blog, Crisis PR, Media Relations, News, Public Relations
Writing a well-crafted press release can be an effective way to share important information with the media and the public. However, it’s important to follow best practices to ensure that your press release gets the attention it deserves and accurately communicates your message.
Red Banyan’s PR professionals know how important it it to use clear and concise language, provide relevant details and statistics, and include high-quality media such as photos or videos to help assure your press release gets picked up. Additionally, we understand how important it is to follow the standard press release format, including a headline and contact information.
Here are 6 useful tips to writing the perfect press release:
- Clearly state the purpose of the press release in the headline and first sentence.
- Include the “who, what, when, where, and why” of the story in the first paragraph.
- Use simple and clear language to make it easy for the media to understand and report on your story.
- Provide relevant details and statistics to support your message.
- Include contact information for follow-up questions or updates.
- Include high-quality photos or videos to help visually tell the story and grab the media’s attention.
Making it easy for the media to use your press release can greatly increase the chances of it being picked up and reported on. Providing the media with easy-to-understand press releases will greatly improve your media relations. Here are a few suggestions that should help your release get a second look:
- Outline the facts: Make sure your press release is well-organized and includes all the important information in a logical order. This makes it easier for the media to understand the story and quickly identify the key points.
- Provide contact information for follow-up: Include your name, title, phone number, and email address at the end of the press release so that the media can easily contact you for more information or to set up an interview.
- Make it interesting: Use attention-grabbing headlines, include quotes from key people, and include high-quality photos or videos to make your press release stand out.
- Keep it short and simple: Press releases should be short and to the point. Media outlets receive hundreds of press releases everyday, so you want to make sure that your message is conveyed in a clear and concise manner.
- Target the right media outlets: Research the media outlets that are most likely to be interested in your story and tailor your press release accordingly. This will increase the chances of your press release being picked up by the media.
By following these tips, you can make it easy for the media to use your press release and increase the chances of it being picked up and reported on.
- What is a press release? A press release is a short, compelling news story written by a public relations professional and sent to targeted members of the media. The goal of a press release is to pique the interest of a journalist or publication.
- Where do you send press releases? Press releases are sent to the news media, which may include newspapers, magazines, television and radio.
- Why do organizations use press releases? The goal of a press release is to stir the interest of a journalist or publication.
- What facts should a media release contain? The press release should contain all the essential information (who? what? where? when? how? and most importantly why?) for the journalist to easily produce his own story.
- Do press releases work? Press releases can be very effective in steering the attention of the news media to a specific topic.
Red Banyan’s team of public relations and media outreach professionals have the skills and knowledge to write press releases, handle media relations and create tailored content to distinguish your organization from all others and be recognized for its unique accomplishments.
Our public relations experts will create a one-of-a-kind media relations and outreach plan for your organization that will help you get the kind of news coverage you are seeking.